Friday, May 16, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Wilsford's Review

Thumb: Up

Notable Characters:
Ben Barnes – Prince Caspian
Georgie Henley – Lucy Pevensie
Skandar Keynes – Edmund Pevensie
William Moseley – Peter Pevensie
Anna Popplewell – Susan Pevensie
Sergio Castellitto – King Miraz

Plot (contains spoilers):
The land of Narnia has been taken over by the Telmarines. Since the death of Caspian IX, the people have been waiting for Caspian X to come of age and take over the throne. However when Miraz, Caspian’s uncle, has a son, he orders the prince’s death and Caspian must quickly leave the castle. Before his departure, his tutor gives him a horn and tells him to blow it when he needs help. Riding through the forest Caspian is sandwiched between knights and dwarfs and blows on the horn. The Pevensie kids, back in Post WWII London, are getting on a train when they are suddenly all back in Narnia. As they explore they realize that it has been many years since they were last in Narnia. Eventually they meet up with Caspian and decide to gather all creatures of Narnia to go to war and rid the land of the Telmarines. Facing horrible odds, Peter challenges King Miraz to a winner take all duel. Peter wins and as a result of treachery of one of the Telmarines, the Narnians are forced to fight. Slowly losing, Alsan finally makes an appreance to rescue the Narnians. Caspian becomes king of Narnia and the Pevensies go back to London, however we learn that only two will return.

Reasons why I didn’t like it:
· Totally not a PG movie. I don’t know how it got that rating. This movie had to have set a record for most death in a PG movie. If you are planning on taking small kids to see this, beware.
· I read all the books but I don’t remember them and it was awhile since I saw the first movie. This movie had no recap, so if you didn’t see the first one there were some things that you wouldn’t get completely. Also there were some moments that seemed important, at least that is what the music hinted, that I didn’t fully understand. I think I might have if I read the books and remembered them.

Reasons why I liked it:
· Great story. I don’t remember the book, so I can say if it stayed true, but it had all the makings of a good epic. Also this movie was darker than the last and I love dark movies.
· I had read that some people thought the acting was horrible but I think that the actors were enormously better than they were in the first movie. I felt that they had grown in their acting abilities and because they are all a little older, the action sequences were fantastic.
· The books were written by C.S. Lewis, Christian theologian, and so the books/movies have Christian themes in them. However I feel that this is a movie that anyone can see, even those who hate Christians because the Christian lessons this movie promotes is like Aslan, you won’t find it until you go looking for it.

Final Notes: Wonderful movie and I can’t wait for the next one due in 2010. Can’t really say if it was better than Ironman because they are different movies but I think that I had more fun watching this than Ironman.

No comments: